There are plenty of insurance options available! Even the most basic of homeowners insurance policies have a wide range of options to select from, so it’s vital that you know where to start. Your policy should cover no less than 80 percent of the price of rebuilding your home, excluding the value of the land it’s built on. You’ve two general coverage options:
• Actual cash value: Covers the price of what your home and possessions were worth at the time of destruction. This total value is depreciated, meaning it costs more to rebuild than this kind of policy will pay.
• Replacement value: Covers the price of fully rebuilding your home and replacing possessions, no matter how much they might have depreciated. This kind of policy costs only about 10 to 20 percent more than actual cash value, and it provides more complete coverage.
When you decide which kind of coverage you want to buy, it’s time for you to consider just how much coverage you would like for every part of your policy. Your independent agent can help discuss your specific needs. Ask about the following:
• Dwelling: Covers the dwelling of your property, together with attached structures like a garage or deck.
• Other structures: Covers separate structures that stand on your property, like a shed or detached garage.
• Contents: Covers your possessions for up to half of the value of your home. You might need a rider for high-value items or collections — such as jewelry or fine artwork — in which case you might also require a purchase receipt or appraisal.
• Liability: Covers your legal expenses if a guest presses charges after being injured on your property.
• Medical obligations: Covers guests’ medical expenses that are the result of an injury on your property.
• Relocation expenses: Covers rent, hotel rates, food and other expenses associated with temporary relocation after a covered incident causes your home to become uninhabitable.
Take a look at your homeowners insurance policy with your independent agent every year before renewing to make sure that your coverage still meets the needs of your family.
We’ll help you get started. Call Garrett Insurance Agency at 830-896-6600 for more information on Kerrville home insurance.